123's and ABC's: Growing Up With Social Media

While growing up, we went to preschool to learn the fundamentals of life.  C-A-T spelt cat, a fuzzy creature that meowed.  One apple + two apples equaled three apples.  These were the basics of how we would communicate and begin to understand the world around us.  With the introduction of technology these fundamentals are just as important, but now social media is joining the ranks.
When I was young I remember logging on to my first computer.  The screen the size of a small box with games on disks the size of a DVD case.  Going to my dad's office was a treat because we didn't have a home computer.  Now my niece and nephew, ages five and three, have their own personal iPhone and download apps with a simple swipe of their little fingers.
My generation is often considered the generation of social media, but really this new group has the world at their fingertips.  My generation had social media emerge and the Internet established during the middle of our lives.  Those who are 5 or even 10 years old have never known a world without the internet, home computers, and the evolution of the smartphone.  It astounds me how social media and technological advancements are all this younger generation will ever know.
Now for all you readers I have some good news and some bad news... which would you like first? Bad news.  Ok.  The bad news is tonight is our last night of lecture. I will miss meeting with amazing professionals from the communications industry.  The good news, I will continue blogging about my general musings as a PR girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment